Moving at the last minute? Don’t panic! Here are some helpful hints!
Did you get a new job or are you moving in with your better half? Did unforeseen circumstances prevent you from planning your move in advance? Sometimes, life happens at lightning pace, and moving into a new home can become a significant source of stress. Even more so when you have to rush to get everything done at the last minute. Discover our tips for managing a last-minute move without panicking.
The best way to organize an urgent move
When it comes to making your move successful, it’s pretty obvious that panic is the last thing you need. To ensure that you’re as organized as possible, it’s essential to maintain Zen-like calm and stay focused on what’s most important. Once you’ve found your new residence, consider doing the following things next:
- Contact an agency that specializes in moving and schedule your move with them for the big day. Also contact your job and request that day off so you’ll be free to dedicate all your time to the task at hand.
- Make a list and sort through your personal effects to determine what to take and what to prioritize. You can then start packing your boxes (it’s a good idea to label the boxes with a description to make it easier to find things once you’ve moved). You can also save time by having a moving company pack up your belongings for you, which offers the added advantage of ensuring that the job is done right.
- Ask for assistance from anyone who’s available and willing to help.
- Don’t forget to make of all the necessary change-of-address arrangements with the utility companies (gas, electricity, etc.) and your employer.
- Contact a cleaning company to clean your new home before you move in and clean your old home after you move out. That way, you’ll have fewer things to worry about, especially if you’re short on time.
The smart way to move out of your old home
Whenever you have to manage a last-minute move, it’s very important to strategize. Every action and every task must be prioritized to ensure that your move comes off without a hitch. Here are some things you can do to make that happen.
- Get certain things, especially some of the biggest, bulkiest items, moved as soon as possible.
- Take your most personal possessions with you to ensure that they don’t get lost or misplaced.
- Let go of all the things you no longer need and take advantage of applications to sell some of them online.
To lighten your load and reduce your moving expenses, you might want to consider donating some of your surplus items to charity and throwing others away.
What to do once you’re in your new place
After you’ve moved into your new home, there will still be a lot left to do. It will be a few weeks before everything calms down. Nothing is where it belongs and you may be struggling to get your bearings. All the same, you can finally heave a sigh of relief and start planning your strategy for getting settled in as peacefully and effortlessly as possible.
To make things easier, don’t unpack all your boxes at once.
- Start by arranging the furniture and putting away the items that you use every day. You’ll have plenty of time to worry about the rest over the weekend.
- Verify that your change-of-address has been noted.
- Make sure that the gas, electricity, telephone and internet are all working perfectly.
After a few days, you’ll start getting used to your new home and life will soon return to normal.
With Martineau Movers, you can turn your last-minute move into a pleasant experience. Contact us so you can benefit from our expertise and enjoy a stress-free move.